Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Pre-Retirement Vision (2026–2036)



Pre-Retirement Vision (2026–2036)

Building a Community Institution: Saraswati Sangeet Gurukul (SSG)

To my Mother, Sister, Brother and Children,

I would like to share my long-term vision so that you understand why I am investing my time, energy and resources in establishing Saraswati Sangeet Gurukul (SSG).

This is not a retirement hobby, nor is it merely about buying speakers, a projector or starting music classes. It is my plan for building a meaningful institution that can serve our community for decades.


Why am I doing this?

For over 30 years, I have built my professional career as a Metallurgical and Corrosion Engineer in the global oil and gas industry.

That career has given me knowledge, international exposure and financial independence.

However, consulting careers are project-based and uncertain. One day, regardless of how successful I am professionally, I will step away from full-time engineering.

Instead of waiting for retirement and wondering how to spend my time, I want to spend the next 5–10 years building something that can continue long after my engineering career.


My vision is not to become a music teacher.

My vision is to become the Founder of a community institution.

Music is simply the starting point.

Ultimately, I want SSG to become a place where families gather for learning, culture, creativity, mentorship and community engagement.


Collaboration rather than competition

I do not intend to compete with existing music schools.

Instead, I want SSG to become a collaborative platform.

Collaboration with Arvind Srivastava

Shri Arvind Srivastava, Principal of Swaranjali Sangeet Shikshan Sansthan, has already expressed interest in conducting music classes and organising student performances at SSG.

My vision is that:

  • His teachers and students can use SSG as an additional centre.
  • Regular student recitals and baithaks can be organised.
  • We can jointly promote Indian classical music within NRI City and nearby communities.

This creates a mutually beneficial relationship rather than two organisations competing for students.


Collaboration with Pt. Debashish Bhattacharya

Pt. Debashish Bhattacharya has been a major inspiration in my musical journey.

In the long term, I would like SSG to develop an academic and cultural association with his institution through:

  • Masterclasses.
  • Workshops.
  • Annual concerts.
  • Student interaction.
  • Teacher development programmes.
  • If feasible in the future, an academic affiliation or recognised learning centre.

I do not assume such an affiliation today. It is an aspiration that would require discussion and mutual agreement over time.


Registration of a Society

Rather than operating SSG as a personal business, my intention is to establish it as a registered educational and cultural society.

This offers several advantages:

  • Transparency in governance.
  • Continuity beyond my personal involvement.
  • Ability to collaborate with artists, schools and cultural organisations.
  • Eligibility for future grants, sponsorships or donations where appropriate.
  • A framework that can continue serving the community even if I am working abroad.

The institution should be larger than any one individual.


My Role

My role is not to teach every class.

My role is to:

  • Build the vision.
  • Create the infrastructure.
  • Bring together good teachers.
  • Organise programmes.
  • Mentor students.
  • Develop partnerships.
  • Ensure long-term sustainability.

If I accept another assignment in the Middle East, SSG should continue functioning through its teachers and governing committee.


Services over the next decade

Initially:

  • Hindustani Vocal
  • Tabla
  • Hawaiian Guitar
  • Spanish Guitar
  • Dance

Gradually expanding into:

  • Music appreciation.
  • Monthly Baithaks.
  • Workshops.
  • Public speaking.
  • Career guidance.
  • Student mentoring.
  • Engineering mentoring.
  • Indian philosophy and knowledge traditions.
  • Senior citizen engagement.
  • Community cultural programmes.

The objective is to serve families throughout different stages of life.


Financial Philosophy

The initial investment of approximately ₹2–2.5 lakh is not simply a business expense.

It is simultaneously:

  • An investment in my own passion for music and culture.
  • A high-quality space for family entertainment, movies and gatherings.
  • Infrastructure for a community institution.
  • A long-term asset that can be used regardless of whether I remain in India or work overseas.

I am not expecting immediate financial returns.

Instead, I want to create something that grows steadily through trust, quality and community participation.


Success will not be measured only by revenue.

Success will be measured by questions such as:

  • Are families coming together through music?
  • Are children developing confidence and artistic appreciation?
  • Are local musicians getting opportunities to perform?
  • Can SSG continue functioning independently of me?
  • Has it become a respected cultural institution in Kanpur?

If the answer to these questions is "yes," then I will consider this one of the most meaningful achievements of my life.


My Personal Mission

The first half of my life was dedicated to building a successful engineering career. The second half will be dedicated to building an institution that nurtures music, learning, mentorship and community.

I hope that one day, Saraswati Sangeet Gurukul will not simply be known as my project, but as a place where generations of families came together to learn, perform, grow and preserve our cultural heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment